Food and Fellowship

Timeline Update:

I found Nemo at the aquarium today!

So I've been in Sydney since May 19 and think that I have settled into the lifestyle of Sydney and my routine really well. It feels really simple to hop on the train and head into the Sydney to adventure and is not a daunting task! I've completed 2 weeks of service at St. Lucy's (minus one day where I had to stay home because I was sick!- I missed my class so much!) and I have 3 more of the term and then 1 week of service during their holiday program. Time moves slowly at some points - like when I am working with a child through a rather difficult problem and at other points really quickly - like when I am sitting on the train and look at Becky realizing that the week is over. I'm trying to savor each moment and be fully present in each moment as best as I can!

Week 2

Week 2 is over! I'm going to be talking about all of the great programs and activities that I get to assist and serve with at St. Lucy's over the course of many of my posts. This post I'll be talking a bit about cooking and shopping with the kids!
Raisin Toast!
Making Hot Dogs

So, What's Better Than Food?

Not much! Especially when kids are concerned! And the Rosella boys are no exception! At St. Lucy's, the kids are given many opportunities to shine and learn in many environments and situations. Since kids love food (as we all do), the boys are often very excited on days that we plan to do cooking or shopping for treats!


On a day when we plan to cook, one of my students, Matthew will come up to me during the pre-morning assembly playtime and sign "cooking" to me with a big smile. [The sign for cooking looks like stirring a large bowl as you hold that bowl near your body with one arm] When I affirm that we will be cooking I often get an even larger smile than before (which I didn't think was possible)!

Using a toaster!

In the past two weeks, we have made raisin toast, pizzas, hot dogs (because it's "American") and more toast! One of my students, Christian really loves raisin toast and goes on about it excitedly on the playground when we are due to make it. Christian is rather high functioning on the spectrum of disability and really enjoys and excels at many things that we do so you may hear a lot about him as he is a chatterbox!

During my first week, the kids asked some questions about me being from America. Lots of the questions surrounded where America is, what we eat there, why I sound different and how long my flight was. The most American food they could think of was hot dogs so of course, we made them! When we split the hot dog rolls, some of the kids didn't really want to wait for the hot dogs and they munched on the rolls while they cooked. It was extremely cute.
Butter or Vegemite? I know what I'd choose!



When we do cooking with the kids, we help them develop a lot of important daily living skills! Before we do any cooking we do a quick lesson on hand washing which is an important skill for the kids to learn. Also as you can see above, learning to be safe in a kitchen and keeping our hands away from the heat elements of the toaster is a good example of that! Lachlan was very careful as he put his bread into one of the slots! We also develop the student's ability to make a choice. My buddy Harvey is making a choice between which spread (butter or Vegemite) to put on his toast.

Raisin toast before Pizza!!
I really enjoy the cooking portions of class because the kids are engaged in the learning and these are lessons that will be applicable even outside of the classroom. Because they enjoy the result of their work, the lessons set in even more strongly. The kids also get to try new things when we cook. Perhaps they've never had herb pizza - they get to taste it after we make it in the classroom. Cooking is also a really engaging time for the kids because they work one on one with a staff or volunteer giving them invaluable lessons that wouldn't be as effective with a larger student to teacher ratio during the lesson.
I really love cooking and trying good food myself. So combining my love of food and the fellowship that I am working on with these kids is really rewarding. I hope you all enjoyed learning a bit about how the cooking lessons that the students have sometimes more than once a week in class help to develop their skills and confidence! If you have any questions be sure to leave a comment!

Speaking of Food

On Monday Becky and I went to dinner at Elizabeth's, the woman who picked us up from the airport, house to have dinner with Sr. Rose Mary Kinne O.P. and Jane Sulis along with other members of the team that helped organize the Smith Fellowship on the Australian end. It was really great to meet Sr. Rose Mary since she was in the Solomon Islands when we arrived. We got to hear about her work there along with just having good conversation and great company. We're hoping to get together another time in the next five weeks!
Of course, we took a selfie after our great dinner!


Aquarium and Wax Museum Pics

Becky and I took a trip to the SEA LIFE Aquarium in Sydney and Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum today. Here are some pictures from that trip. The picture at the beginning of the post was from this trip as well!








Some Super Cool Jelly Fish!













Penguin Feeding Time!











Can't Beat The Olympian!
         (But 2nd and 3rd Isn't Bad!)








Sitting With A Nun 
                                                         (She was a Bit Quiet!)




R.I.P. Steve Irwin
        (Only In Australia)








Until Next Time... Go Friars! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finals Fun:Taco Fest and Packing

Running Through Boston Airport, Accidental Naps, and Basketball Shoe Shopping